Earth and Sky by chipmouskin
“Hey. You ever hear about the sky and the earth?”
“What do you mean?” she asked, turning to lay on her side so she could see him better.
“Oh, you know…the one about how they were in love.”
She smiled slyly. “Are you secretly a romantic?”
He shrugged his shoulders up and down, half his mouth curling up. “Do you want to hear the story or not?”
“So, long ago, when everything was created, way before people, the sky and the earth were in love, or so they say -“
“I don’t know. It’s just what I heard. Now stop interrupting.”
“Right. Where was I? Oh yeah. It was said that at the beginning of time, the sky and the earth fell in love, although they were very different. The sky was a free spirit, always on the move, never content to be in one place. The sky was fast and reckless. The earth, on the other hand, took its time, and was content to stay in one place as long as it took. The earth was very patient, while the sky was the complete opposite.” As he spoke, he gestured with his hands, making them zoom around as he told her about the sky. She giggled at his antics, her interest piqued.
“Regardless, they both fell in love, and they longed for one another. The sky knew that if it embraced the earth, though, it would crush all the creatures below, and so they had to remain separate. The earth grew trees that stretched high into the sky in an effort to be closer, and the sky would caress the leaves with the wind, pretending they were the earth. The earth pushed mountains upward, higher than even the tallest of trees, and the sky draped the mountains in clouds.
“It wasn’t long, though, before the earth began to die. The trees lost their leaves, and the green grass began to turn brown. They said the earth was dying without the sky, because they had to be separated.” She frowned, plucking up blades of grass, imagining the world brown and colorless. It wasn’t hard to picture – living in the slums of the city was almost the same thing.
“What happened next?” she asked quietly, wriggling on the hard ground to try and get more comfortable, blades of grass tickling her arms. She picked one of the nearby dandelions, one that had dropped it’s yellow petals already and was a white, fuzzy parachute ball. She brought it up to her lips and blew gently, but it was enough to send the seeds flying away. She watched them as they floated upward, drifting slowly in the easy afternoon breeze.
“The sky, unable to do anything but watch helplessly as the earth died, began to cry. And so it rained. The rain was what the earth needed. The browns faded away and became vibrant greens once more; the trees grew their leaves, and the earth was happy. The sky had cried so much that its tears filled the cracks in the earth until they became rivers, and soon the rivers became oceans. The earth had a part of the sky, now. Sometimes, the sky still cries, because they both long for one another, but know they are unable to be together. But the sky loves the earth, whether it’s storming and raging, or the clearest of blues you’ve ever seen, and the earth loves the sky, and still pushes its mountains higher and wills its trees to stretch their limbs to the limits, in an ever continuing effort to touch the sky.” He finished his story, pointing one hand up to the sky, arm outstretched, his other hand grasping hers.
“That’s kind of sad,” she said after a long moment, a naked dandelion in her hand, the air still filled with floating seeds.
“Yeah, a bit. I like the story, though. And…” he trailed off, chewing his lip.
“Kind of reminds me of us.”
“We’re together right now, though,” she reminded him.
“Of course we are. I only meant that, well…we’re really different,” he scratched at the back of his head, apparently searching for words, which she found almost ironic since he had just told her such a wonderful story. Like maybe he had used up all his nice words. “I guess I just think you’re kind of like the earth, is all. My earth, I suppose.”
He wasn’t looking at her, but she knew he was anxious for some kind of response. She let the gravity of what he said rest on her mind, and strangely, it was more like helium, filling her up and making her feel light, and like she might join the dandelion seeds, floating in the air.
“Well, only on one condition,” she said. His head jerked in her direction, and his eyes locked on hers. “If I’m going to be your earth, you have to be my sky.”
“Alright,” he said, trying to be casual even though he was smiling so widely, she wondered how his cheeks didn’t hurt. “Only, I’m not going to have to do a lot of crying to keep you happy, will I?”
She laughed, taking his hand again. “No, as long as you’re happy, I’m happy.”
reblogged from vn-dynasty
originally posted by vn-dynasty
- avatardedalchemist likes this
- reneefantasy26 likes this
- illska7 likes this
- stardust-starlove likes this
- bravelittleposter reblogged this from vn-dynasty
- zack-fair-puppy likes this
- coffeevanilla likes this
- thefairybottle reblogged this from vn-dynasty
- thefairybottle likes this
- mihi-tan likes this
- heotpingkeu reblogged this from vn-dynasty
- dreamsofhonor reblogged this from vn-dynasty
- aerithgainsboro reblogged this from vn-dynasty
- aerithgainsboro likes this
- tspcapacity likes this
- avatardedalchemist reblogged this from vn-dynasty
- myfavouriteactresses likes this
- shinkuni reblogged this from vn-dynasty and added:
- atiebcd reblogged this from vn-dynasty
- kuraudos likes this
- stillbrightstillcolorful likes this
- crystalbubblegum likes this
- kekekehongkimonki likes this
- matcha-mocha reblogged this from vn-dynasty
- h07-penguin reblogged this from vn-dynasty
- nyuupv reblogged this from vn-dynasty
- h07-penguin likes this
- bravelittleposter likes this
- thelovelycosmos likes this
- lionofshadow likes this
- belovedlover reblogged this from mysteriousexperiences
- nerdsareninjas reblogged this from thenumberonestruggler
- nerdsareninjas likes this
- whereismylight likes this
- cherybombgirl likes this
- thenumberonestruggler likes this
- thenumberonestruggler reblogged this from vn-dynasty
- theonlyflowerinthesky reblogged this from vn-dynasty
- theonlyflowerinthesky likes this
- there-is-no-silver-lining reblogged this from ireallywasborntomeetyou
- ireallywasborntomeetyou reblogged this from vn-dynasty
- awkward-and-random reblogged this from vn-dynasty
- blacktrap15 likes this
- thechildishkoi reblogged this from vn-dynasty
- domenico2010 likes this
- renmirii likes this
- req-flames reblogged this from vn-dynasty
- zesimi likes this
- danwin21 reblogged this from vn-dynasty